Saturday, July 30, 2011

Von Hütte zu Hütte

When I was about 12 years old I fell deeply in love with the Alps of Europe. We were fortunate enough to live in the small Bavarian town of Oberammergau and my parents took us on many long walks in the area. My friend Grant and I hiked up to our first Hütte and spent the night there planning other grand adventures, most of which resembled James Bond stories. Our Boy Scout troop was very active and we hiked and camped throughout Bavaria. My folks gave me "Von Hütte zu Hütte", a book in german describing many wonderful mountain routes and their "huts" which in reality are mountain houses with hot water, warm beds and mountain inn style food, which whetted my appetite for mountains even more.

I'm grateful that Bobbie shares my love of the high country. She enjoys the physical challenge as much as the sense of serenity and peace found in high lonely places. So it is with great joy we set out upon this journey. To be able to take six guilt free weeks to indulge in what we love so much is freedom and joy of the highest order. We have no pets right now, hardly any work, and no mortgage or debt. We both have our health (as good as it gets when one is near 60) so in our minds there is only one thing to do..."Get it while you can!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment